How to change your steam password in 3 simple steps
1Click VPN Team in how-to-guides
31.12.2023 | 4 min read
Table of contents
Steam is a hugely popular gaming platform where you can buy and play everything from triple-A releases to crowdfunded indie games. A Steam account is a must-have for most gamers and live streamers, with thousands of titles on the platform.
The last thing you want is to be shut out of your Steam account after spending hundreds of hours playing games. The good news is that if you lose your login information, you can easily reset your password and retrieve your account. It only takes a few simple steps to recover your Steam password.
It can be frustrating to forget your password for any online profile. On the other hand, Steam records accomplishments, player data, hours, and purchased games. It would be a nightmare if you lost access to your account. However, you’ll never be locked out if you know how to change and reset your Steam password.
I forgot my Steam password; what can I do?
You can either reset, retrieve, or change your Steam password.
How to reset a Steam password
- Navigate to the Steam website and select Login.
- When you reach the login screen, click the “Forgot Your Password?” link.
- Select “I Forgot My Steam Account Name Or Password” from the list.
- Enter your account name and the email address linked with it.
- Click the Search button.
- To send an account verification code to the corresponding email address, click “Email An Account Verification Code.” If you no longer have access to the email account, click “I No Longer Have Access To This Email” and fill out the form with all the needed information. Steam customer service will contact you.
- Check your email in a new tab. Copy the code from the email once it arrives in your inbox.
- Return to Steam and enter the email code into the appropriate field.
- Continue to Change My Password.
- Enter and confirm a new password to complete the process, then click Change Password.
What if I don’t receive an email from Steam customer service?
Steam Guard is an additional layer of protection that offers an authentication code to validate your identity when required. If you change your password but do not receive the Steam Guard email, consider the following options:
- Check that your email address is the same as the one associated with your Steam account.
- Check your spam folder to ensure the Steam Guard email has not been blocked from reaching your inbox.
- Consider adding @steampowered.com to your safe sender list.
- Wait 30 minutes, and then refresh your inbox. If you have not received an email from Steam Guard, log in and request another code.
What if I need help getting into my associated email account?
You cannot change your password if you no longer have access to the email address associated with your Steam account. You can contact Steam Support for assistance in recovering your account, but you will need to provide verification that you hold the Steam account.
Proof of ownership can be shown by credit cards used for the account, bank transfers, and online payment programs such as PayPal and Steam Wallet Codes, according to the Steam website. Some users claim to have established their identification using their web history, and old account screen photos. However, there are other methods of proving ownership.
How to change a Steam password
Change Steam password with the desktop app
This is compatible with both PC and Mac devices.
- 1. Launch the Steam app, then select Steam in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Select Settings (PC) or Preferences (Mac) in the drop-down menu.
- 3. The Settings dialog box will appear. Check the Account box on the left sidebar, then click Change Password.
- A web browser window will be launched. If prompted, go through the two-factor authentication process, then enter your new password twice.
- Click Change Password to save your new password.
Change Your Steam Password on the website
- If you still need to, go to the Steam website and sign in to your account.
- In the top-right corner, click your username and select Account details from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to Account Security and select Change my password.
- If prompted, go through the two-factor authentication process, then enter your new password twice.
- To save your new login information, click Change Password.
Change your Steam password using the mobile app
- Hit the three lines in the top-left corner of the Steam app.
- Tap Account Details at the bottom of this sidebar menu.
- Go to the Account Security section and select Change “My Password.”
- If prompted, verify your account and then input your new password twice.
- To store your new login information, tap Change Password.
How to find a Steam password without resetting it?
Start by reviewing any backups of your account that you may have made. Look for any external apps or files named “Steam Wallet” that you may have installed when setting up your account. You might discover your password in one of these.
Examine any password managers saved in your browser, such as Google Password Manager or Firefox Password Manager. Most online browsers have a password storage locker that stores and recalls passwords.
Go to your email provider and look for the initial email provided by Steam when you created the account. This may include the password you used. If it doesn’t, look for any correspondence that might have come from Steam.
Finally, contact Steam Support if you need help with these methods of producing your password. They can assist you in regaining access to your account without performing an official reset. Be ready to answer inquiries or give verification requirements before they can help you.
Whether you use Steam for gaming or to explore the world of social media, knowing your password and practicing good cybersecurity is critical.
Make your password unique by incorporating a mix of letters, numbers, or symbols that only you know. This can assist you in making your password more secure and easier to remember.
Moreover, using an encrypted password service can help keep your passwords secure and give you peace of mind when remembering them. You can help keep your information safe and secure by encrypting your password.